Taper - Throughout the season the body's muscles are broken down and rebuilt during practices and meets. Now that we have started tapering, we swim less yards and allow our muscles to rebuild and become prepared for the most important part of the season.
Guys that are tapering for conference should be trying to do these things in order to make their taper more effective:
1. Rest - Try not to put stress on your body (doing physical activities, etc.)
2. Eat properly - stay away from fatty junk foods
Good snacks: unsalted nuts, rice cakes, multi-grain wheat thins, peanut butter, popcorn (no butter/salt, Tostitos and salsa, and fruit.
Good meals: fish, skinless chicken, vegetables, pasta or rice
3. Drink water - keep drinking lots of water throughout the day
4. Sleep - make sure that you are getting 7-9 hours (make sure you have a consistent sleep pattern and don't sleep less or more by 30 minutes.
5. Mentally prepare yourself - visualize your races before you go to sleep at night:
- start with your warm-up for your event
- waiting behind the starting blocks
- the starting official asking you to step up, take your mark and the buzzer going off.
- think about what you have to do in your event (streamline, kick, breathing, technique, turns, etc.
- finish strong to the wall, be a good sport and congratulate the guy in the lanes next to you.
Looking forward to some fast swims and some great dives on Friday and Saturday this upcoming week! You guys have worked hard to get to this point in the season, you should feel confident in how you will do.
- Everyone will have a chance to swim 2 individual events on Friday, those who make it in the top 16 (only top 4 from each team) will swim those same events on Saturday. There will also be a bonus heat that will allow the next 8 fastest guys to swim on finals day.
- We will also be able to have 3 of each of the relays on both days. Coach will pick who swims on the relays, just because you swam in that relay for prelims, doesn't ensure that you will be swimming it for finals.
- For Diving, the top 16 guys will score and the top 14 will be able to go on and compete in regionals. Top 14 is decided by the number of teams in the conference - 8, and the number of guys returning that dove in their divisions state meet last year - 6